Our monitoring focuses on the border region between Turkey and Greece, which has reached an even higher level of militarisation since the dirty EU-Turkey deal of March 2016.
People on the move still find themselves forced to board unseaworthy boats to leave the allegedly „safe third country“ of Turkey – every day. Since 2014, thousands of people have drowned trying to cross the Aegean Sea. Fortress Europe is doing everything to systematically prevent protection seekers from reaching the EU. For this, they do not shrink back from the use of humiliation, violence, and torture.
The Aegean is a highly militarized border region where daily human rights violations and pushbacks are the modus operandi. This cannot be understood as a Greek project alone. Greece can count on the support of Europe, which not only tolerates pushbacks and violence at the borders but also actively supports them. The EU invests billions of euros in the militarization of the border. The EU not only supports Greece financially in forcibly warding off people on the move but it also presents itself in such operations, namely through the European border protection agency Frontex. Against this background, we demand:
- Public (greek) Authorities must rescue people being distressed and live threatened at sea!
- Stop the deadly, illegal practice of pushbacks and other human rights violations. These crimes need to be clarified and those actors involved need to be held accountable!
- Establishing safe and legal migration routes for everyone. Freedom of Movement for all!
- Abolish all camps and create safe accommodation for refugees!
- Civilian sea rescue and monitoring missions must not be criminalized and blocked!
- Stop the criminalization of people on the move and solidarity movements!
- Abolish Frontex!